MAMAMOO And their company release a statement for apologizing for blackface concert:
“Hello, this is MAMAMOO. We are extremely sorry for our insensitive actions and use of blackface in our video while portraying Bruno Mars. There is no excuse for what we did and there are not enough words to explain how regretful we are. We are heartbroken to have hurt our international K-pop fans so deeply. We love and care so much for all people of every race, sexuality, religion, and gender. We love all our fans and are so sorry to have hurt our fans in the black community.
“We understand now why our actions were wrong and we never meant to do harm with our video. We were extremely ignorant of blackface and did not understand the implications of our actions. We will be taking time to understand more about our international fans to ensure this never happens again. We hope that you will help to educate us on these and other issues so that we can become better people and better artists. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention and allowing us to right the wrongs that we have done.”
Here’s how K-Netizens reacted to the controversy, Comments provided by NetizenBuzz
Article: Mamamoo reps apologize over racism controversy “We will edit out the problematic parts”
Source: 10asia via Naver
1. [+7,586, -364] This is no different than if a white singer were to sing a Korean song while slanting his eyes
2. [+6,469, -605] It’s ignorance in the end. The fact that they didn’t even realize that it was racism.
3. [+5,174, -340] If they had parodied a white singer, do you think they would’ve come out with their faces painted white? Even unintentional, it’s stuff like this that promotes racism and it’s important to realize that and never do it again.
4. [+3,987, -227] Article went back up after public sentiment turned against them
5. [+3,783, -456] They had to have known in the prep process, why couldn’t they speak up and say it was bad before it went through ㅠㅠㅠ at least I’m glad they’re handling it swiftly. Both the singers and the agency need to pay better attention…
6. [+1,067, -54] To the perspective of Americans, it’s basically like us seeing a white singer paint his face yellow and dancing to ‘Gangnam Style’
7. [+1,129, -112] Why are there so many celebrities who act without thinking these days…
8. [+736, -14] It’s because Korea has no law or education on racism at all. I remember there was a comedy show that did blackface back in the day and a lot of black people in the YouTube comments were offended by it.
1. [+596, -67] So comparable to Eric Nam who didn’t want to do a ‘curry concept’ comedy skit because it was disrespectful to an entire country and their respect for Gandhi. He also refused to parody Hong Suk Chun because he felt it was disrespectful to sexual minorities. I really do think if any of those skits went through, we would’ve ended up on Indian news
2. [+539, -73] This is definitely racism. Both the singers and the agency are extremely ignorant and thoughtless, tsk tsk;;;
3. [+514, -52] It’s hilarious how all of you will be the first to go up in arms whenever you see any foreigner slant their eyes but oh so lenient when it comes to racism against black people ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
4. [+71, -33] I always knew this group would end up in a scandal, if not just this. They always go over the top with everything.
5. [+61, -20] Taeyeon’s the most disrespectful of them all for saying “she’s pretty for a black girl”
6. [+46, -11] I really think they don’t know their limits after all the praise they’ve been getting for being ‘beagle-dols’, I knew a scandal would come out of them someday…
7. [+44, -10] There was also Taeyeon and miss A’s Min who said racist things. So many idols who are dumb in the head.
8. [+43, -1] Don’t be an idiot and try to defend them. I hate how there are so many idiot fans who pop out the minute you try to criticize any mistake. They have to be secret antis.
9. [+35, -2] I now realize why these entertainment agencies can never be bigger than what they are… because they don’t hire smart people for their marketing departments. These apology statements are ridiculous. Apology statements that only serve to protect your pride are useless and better off not said at all. A ‘misunderstanding’? How is this a misunderstanding. Try to protect yourself like that and you’ll lose it all.
10. [+28, -1] There are still groups that do blackface?????? After seeing all those seniors before them get so much hate for doing it? And they never learned anything????……. Aigoo…